Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hi friends in the blogosphere... I didn't forget about you, but in all honesty didn't have anything interesting to post lately. Work is still going smoothly and pretty quietly as well. There have been tons of budget cuts and projects have been delayed. As none of the management team knows of my plans to leave, things are a bit sticky for me. I had a project close last week. There are a few things still open that I can work on that should keep me busy for a bit longer, but there are no new projects expected to open until mid-April. My last day is slated for April 25th. I was hoping to give at least 4 weeks notice, but with not a whole lot going on, I wonder if my manager will just tell me to leave. Thoughts from any of you out there? For those who did not have a current manager write your recommendation, how much notice are you planning on giving before your last day?

I did attend Open House at CBS last weekend. With the vast majority of the admits thus far being Early Decision, most of us were bound to attending, which really excited me since I know I'll be seeing most of these people in August. Initially I was really overwhelmed by the number of people and ongoing events, but after I got acclimated and into a networking groove, I had a really good time.

Moreover, I'm really excited about the changes that are going at Columbia. The entire website has been reskinned; as a software developer, I was pretty frustrated by the design, which could/should have been a lot better. It is now :). Columbia is also starting to write their own cases called decision briefs, which will have less information and more uncertainty which will hopefully mimic reality closer than a detailed case. And the new curriculum will be inaugurated with my class, allowing even those who do not exempt out of core classes, to take two electives second semester. Pretty cool!

5 comments:

HappyBunny said...

CBS is awesome. I'm planning to visit there in April. Do you think I would get the most out of the visit if I visit on weekdays or weekend is ok? I don't know if I should take a day off to go to NYC.

mbabound said...

The general manager (my manager at the time) wrote my recommendation although there are two levels of management between us now. I've been very up front about my leaving in June to both of my new bosses. It wasn't something I could hide anyway...its just a matter of when.

The good news is I was out of the office for over a week on jury duty and they were a bit panicked. HA!

JulyDream said...

How long have you been with your company and what sort of relationship do you have with your managers? Do you feel your position is a necessity? Granted, I understand not having upcoming projects, but hopefully they'd understand that you're giving them time to prep and possibly hire someone new. Perhaps you offer to train the new person a bit (if that works at all).

BusinessDocN08 said...

I also attended Open House (as one of the seemingly few RD admits) and I was blown away by it! I am really looking forward to the fall. I just submitted my deposit today, so I'm coming for sure. Your blog is inspiring; when I get more time in a couple months, I think I'll start something of the sort myself.

Bschool Diva said...

Thanks! You are going to love CBS. I have a few friends headed there this fall.