Friday, December 21, 2007

The way the cookie crumbles

So time to 'fess up....

I actually got an admit to Columbia the week before I heard from Chicago. Given the timing (per the binding Early decision agreement, I have two weeks to send my deposit to secure my spot at Columbia) I decided to wait it out and see what Chicago said. I was SHOCKED with an acceptance. After last year when I went 0 for 4, I got accepted at my top two choices. I'm still actually flabbergasted at the thought.

For the last week, I've been struggling with whether or not to break my word to Columbia and go to Chicago. I consider myself a very ethical person, even when it isn't always easy. Having just visited Chicago and loved it... it was a big temptation. Several times I thought I had made a decision and then immediately changed my mind. Last night it became very clear to me that I should go to Columbia. I wish I could say it was some major revelation, but it wasn't. It felt like it was the right thing to do for me. (I do realize the impossible situation of making a bad decision in this scenario. I hear the world's smallest violin playing right now.) This morning Columbia got my deposit (with probably no time to spare) and I've secured my spot as a member of CBS Class of 2010.

So, all you GSB waitlisters out there, I hope one of you get my spot. BschoolDiva, you think they'll swap one Texas girl for another? I remember the pain of being on the waitlist; I was waitlisted through two rounds until August before the semester started. Just keep sending those meaningful updates and let them know that you heart Chicago GSB. And if you make it, sign up for a Random Walk for me because that was one of the things I really wanted to do.

10 comments:

Achilles said...

Hey, congrats!!

Thats a great news!!
Columbia is great school...and your story from 0/4 to 2/2 is really motivating for someone like me...
maybe i get into NYU this time and join you there in NYC :)

Congrats again!!

Achilles said...

i also have a few questions regarding NYU (since you gave the intvw last year) will mail you those at your email address(you gave me on my blog)

C said...

Hey congrads! I am in exactly the same boat: having to choose b/t CBS-ED and chi-gsb. What are your final deciding factors for choosing CBS over GSB? I thought I loved CBS and nyc during my visit, but having met quite a few admitted ED students, I did sense a lack of maturity and purpose in life - and that is the biggest concern for me. A b-school is only as good as what its students have to offer and share. My email is: wofile@yahoo.com

Oops said...

thats cool, 2 admits! ur a rockstar!!!
btw hope u didnt chose Columbia just bcoz of their ED farce

HappyBunny said...

WoW, congrads! I wish I will get accepted to one of those two next year, it will be the best christmas present ever!

Achilles said...

hi,

i have mailed you some queries regarding NYU intvw

Juggler said...

Kudos on the decision. Congratulations! And Happy New Year!

Bschool Diva said...

YEAH, MORE ROOM FOR ME!!! I mean ....ohh, so sorry to hear that you selected CBS over Chicago. :-)

CBS is a great school and I think you made a great choice (seriously). GOOD LUCK IN NYC!!!

Irene said...

Which schools did you apply to last year? And what do you think you did differently in your apps this year to get into 2 top tier schools?

I'm still waiting for the Columbia decision...but I've been dinged at a few other places. I'm planning on applying again next year if things don't work out. Just wondering if you have any advice for the second time around.

MBA Dissertation said...

it's good to see this information in your post, i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now i have the link which i was looking for my research.

MBA Dissertation Proposal